<$BlogRSDURL$>


Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Life of Pi film and writing decisions 



A film version of Yann Martel's sublime novel Life of Pi has been rumoured for some time, but is now confirmed as in production, directed by M. Night Shyamalan and written by Dean Georgais.

I have real reservations, and this will no doubt be a movie that falls far short of the book, particularly given the ambiguous subtleties, changing perspectives and ultimate questions of faith that Martel has skillfully interwoven into the narrative. It's not a perfect book by any means, but that's beside the point. It's also derivative in its central premise, if not the ideas - as I've discussed elsewhere - of Moacyr Scliar's Max and the Cats, something Martel freely admits, but also beside the point of this wonderful book :).

Probably I should write a proper review, beyond what the above picture tells about the book. I did write one a few years ago, but can't seem to find it.

While I think of it, the story I've been researching and writing up as a potential children's comic serial, might well work better as a straight prose children's novel! Maybe it's a good thing I haven't done any detailed character design for it yet.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?