<$BlogRSDURL$>


Tuesday, July 04, 2006

How to Draw Comics in Listen Magazine 

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My How to Draw Comics piece from a few years ago is in the May issue of Listen magazine, a US teen lifestyle magazine. I'm very pleased with how it turned out and the context in which it is used, accompanying an article - Drawing Inside the Box - Comics by Tim Morgan - encouraging readers to get into comic creating.

I'd wondered how Listen would adapt my piece for a US readership and am very happy with the results (see below). With a bit of rearrangement of text and panels, it's a tighter comic that works really well in this context. (If you haven't already seen the original, it's at How to Draw Comics).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Labels: ,


Comments:
That's amazing! That's almost EXACTLY how I produce Adventures of the S-Team! Sandwiches and all...

I
 
Heh heh, that's the way I write! Scot McCloud can't hold a candle to you!
 
Congratulations Ian, that's wonderful! :0)
 
I enjoyed it Ian. No doubt it will be well accepted by the readers and more because of the wide range of readers in U.S.
 
BTW, I'm adding you to my blogroll.

I
 
Hehe, this sounds like how I'm doing the latest illustration job...
Although on the comic front, I've recently been doing more sketchbook comics to avoid this problem ;) Soon to be seen in 7 pages digest #5
 
Tony, I must buy Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics some day, but first, a sandwich...

Yep, I think this is the (non)working method of choice employed by artists in all kinds of disciplines (I use that word loosely).
 
Perhaps you should also do a strip entitled "How NOT to draw a comic strip"...have a few gags about not letting your wife (or ex-wife) co-plot one...and especially NOT letting her name any characters.

Hmmm...could be worse...imagine having one's mother-in-law trying to tell you how to do a comic.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?