<$BlogRSDURL$>


Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Weekend, editing and plagiarism 

On Saturday, I traded in the old red Magna station wagon for a much more recent Magna station wagon.

In the afternoon, I went to my brother-in-law's fiftieth birthday party. There were a lot of Ians there, including, him, me, his father, his brother-in-law and a family friend. It's not like the name is that common! Odd seeing my sister after so long. They have a nice house within view of the sea.

Sunday was a slow day. I worked over the script for Riffin' to Oblivion, Part 3, which I'd looked at recently for the first time in a month. It didn't "flow" as well as I'd thought, so I rewrote some of the narrative captions, edited some word balloons and did a bit of cutting and rearranging (which I'd already planned).

Still, there is a lot of story for an eight page episode. With Part 2 I had the luxury of ten pages (thanks, Aaron!), all focused on the one band. This one is about a covers band and an originals band, and the latter gets very compressed.

Also, I've been stressing myself about having posted a link to a page bearing a strong resemblance to a piece of animation a well-known artist had posted on a Forum as his own, original work. As it turned out, his work was more derived from a widely available .gif, though I think this was in turn based on the Preston Blair animation book I had originally posted a link to.

I think I reacted so strongly because this artist had just reported a poster on another bulletin board for plagiarism (rightly) and then been sanctimonious in his telling off. The really odd outcome is that many people defended this artist on the basis of reputation and friendship, rather than the technical similarities (or not) of seven frames of animation. Pleasingly, a number of people have written privately who can see exactly what I meant.

Whatever, it gave me little satisfaction, particularly as I like his work. The problem for me is that now there will always be a niggling element of doubt when I look at it.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?