<$BlogRSDURL$>


Sunday, March 06, 2005

Religion and animation 

The children seem pretty taken with The Prince of Egypt currently. I really didn't think this'd work as an animated film, but it's rather good, if not completely successful. J. has gotten interested in further stories from The Bible, but I'm finding that most children's Bibles are pretty expurgated, and leave out some of the nastier, spicier stories - not surprising I suppose.

I think Dreamworks has a good approach to most of their animated films, usually with some emphasis on the male buddies theme - as in The Road to El Dorado and Sinbad (the latter I consider to be a worthy failure).

So many of the finest animated films are non-Disney! Miyazaki's works go without saying - My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, etc - so they're probably first choice.

However, if anyone's kids are thinking of hiring a DVD, please also consider:
  • Thumbelina
  • Help! I'm a Fish
  • Spirit

  • Comments: Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?